Margaret Webster

I just completed reading Margaret Webster: A Life in the Theater by Milly S. Barranger, I purchased it, along with Webster's own books Shakespeare without Tears and her autobiography: Don't Put your Daughter on the Stage after hearing about Webster's influential work as a woman director. I haven't read the other two yet, I thought I'd get a background before delving into Webster's own words, and I wasn't disappointed. The book is compelling, readable, and by the end I felt like I had such a picture of Webster's complex and beautiful life.

As Barranger says on the final page, "The director's legacy, like the theater, is often dismissed sa ephemeral--as intangible form. Margaret Webster's legacy is lodged in the accomplishment of a pioneering artist, defying time in the work of those artists, especially women, who follow knowingly or otherwise in her footprints."

I discovered in this book a connection which made me feel both an understanding, longing, sadness, and hope that is incredibly complex. I've read a lot of biographies of or writings from directors of note. And while Webster isn't the best known, her work didn't change the theatrical world like a Brook or Stanislavski, her work was monumental. Not just because she was a woman director on Broadway, in London, at the Metropolitan Opera; because she worked diligently on what she cared about, she built foundations that others have walked on, she had failures and triumphs and a lot of middling in between. In short, she wasn't one of these theatrical gods one reads about who could do no wrong, she was a real human being, working her tail off on creating work that reflected her aesthetic and values.

I feel very fortunate to have read this book, and recommend it as inspirational material. She truly had a glorious life in the theatre, and I'm thankful that this book exists to commemorate her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best Movies/Documentaries for Emerging Theater Directors...or any directors...(ongoing list)